I made something!
December 1, 2009 3 Comments
I really did finish something, but it wasn’t the R & A Quilt. Speaking of which, it’s time for an update: It’s still not done…lol. However, here are some in progress shots to show where I’m at…
I was in the planning stages here, trying to get an idea of what I wanted the final product to look like.
You know what though? I just don’t think this quilt is me anymore. It doesn’t feel wonky enough. (It’s a technical term. I know, I’m astounding with my amazing vocabulary. Be jealous. hehehe.) I am thinking about doing some log cabin blocks to set off the white borders and give it a little more personality. I’m also at that crucial stage where I need to decide how I’m going to quilt this baby. In the ditch? In the white sashing? If so, which color – red or blue, or trade off? Should I free motion (stipple) it or try an actual quilting design? And, should I machine quilt it or really push myself and learn how to hand quilt? This is one of those times where I wish I had a sewing machine with a few more decorative stitches. However, I did come across my walking foot, which luckily fits this machine as well as the one it was made for, so I’m pretty stoked about that. It opens up a few more options.
Now, on to a project I finished…
I’ve never made clothes. (Bet you didn’t notice the lack of clothing posts on this blog until I pointed that out, right?) I really don’t know how to finish seams properly…or follow patterns…or picture the steps needed to get the finished product to look right. But, when I came across this amazing tutorial by queenofdiy on Craftster, I knew I had to try it out. It’s supposed to only take about twenty minutes. It took me over an hour, but that was because I had to learn a few things on the way and also had to unpack half of my sewing room to find my elastic. Oh, and the little person I was making the pants for does not believe in holding still and threw a fit every time I had to try the pants on her and then take them back. There were lots of hugs and kisses along the way that ate into my time frame. But in the end, it was all worth it!
The bottoms are still not hemmed, and in that first picture she is trying to karate chop my head off, but all’s well that ends well, right?
Oh! I just remembered I made something else! I don’t have pictures of it right now, but I made a journal using the perfect binding method with PVA glue. I used the tutorial on this page but I did not use photos as my covers. Instead I used manila envelopes and then glued different scrap booking papers on top. I will try to post pics tomorrow but I just realized I’m not sure where I stuck it yesterday when I took it from my niece, so….on the off chance that I find it, have the camera handy AND manage to find five seconds of peace in which to shoot it, I will post pics.
Well that’s enough blogging for one night! I’m off to bed. Sleep tight, don’t let the bears in (you know who I’m talking to!) and don’t forget to leave me emails and comments telling me how much you care!!